Basque Barbecue Leg of Lamb
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large lemons, juiced
- 1 (6 to 7 pound) leg of lamb or 1 whole lamb
- The day before serving, mix all marinade ingredients. Place in a pint jar
and shake well.
- Remove excess fat from lamb without breaking the parchment-like fell, leaving
a little fat in order to enhance flavor. Using a small brush, spread surface
of meat well with marinade. Place lamb in a large pan, cover, refrigerate overnight
or for 24 hours. Baste occasionally with marinade.
- The following day, remove meat from refrigerator at least 40 minutes before
cooking time, in order to bring to room temperature. Heat coals. Either lay
leg of lamb on grill or place on a spit. Turn meat over every 15 minutes. Cook
to desired doneness.
- Transfer meat to a pan and let rest for 10 minutes before carving. (Resting
meat makes it firm and easier to carve.)
- Serve with Chenin Blanc wine.
Serves 8 to 10 | Total cooking: approximately 2 1/2 hr