Autumn Pork Chop Stacks
- 4 pork chops
- 4 thick slices apple, unpeeled
- 4 thick slices sweet potato, peeled
- 4 thick slices red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- Trim any excess fat from the pork chops, and heat a few of the pieces in
a heavy skillet over medium-high heat until the skillet is well greased. Discard
the fat, and brown each of the pork chops lightly on both sides.
- Prepare four (12-inch long) pieces of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Place a
pork chop in the center of each piece of foil. Top each pork chop with an apple
slice, sweet potato slice, and red onion slice. Evenly distribute the savory
over the top of each stack. Do the same with the nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Add
a dab of butter to the top of each pork chop stack, and securely seal the meat
in the foil.
- Slowly grill over moderate coals; it should take 40 minutes to 1 hour, depending
on the thickness of the pork chops. Turn the packet 3 or 4 times while grilling.
- Serve warm.