Barbecued Citrus Pork Tenderloin
- 1 package, approximately 2 1/2 pounds, pork tenderloin (2 loins per package)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 6 ounces frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 1 large, sweet onion, sliced
- 6 to 8 pieces pita bread
- 1 lime, cut into quarters
- In a rectangular, nonreactive container combine the olive oil, lime juice, frozen orange juice concentrate, water, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Rinse the pork and add to the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for four to eight hours.
- Heat grill to medium temperature.
- Cook the pork on all sides (rotating periodically) until the internal temperature reaches 170 degrees. Liberally brush the citrus marinade on the tenderloins frequently during the grilling and turning.
- Remove the pork from the grill and let stand 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, slice the onion. Heat one or two teaspoons of cooking oilin a pan and sauté over medium heat.
- After meat has rested slice thin. (Hint: An electric knife works great.)
- Serve on warm pita bread with sauté ed onions. Squeeze fresh lime juice from wedges onto the sandwich.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Nutrition values per serving: 344 calories, 8 g fat, 36 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 30 g protein, 73 mg cholesterol, 670 mg sodium