Garbage Can Dinner
What are we having for dinner? Garbage!
This is a fun meal to prepare for a large number of people. You can add your favorite vegetables and seasonings and generally personalize this to suit yourself.
- Purchase a new galvanized garbage can. Wash it well and scald it. The first time you use it, it may leak a little bit.
- Prepare about 24 ears of roasting corn by removing the outer husks and removing the silk. Leave a few of the inner husks on. Stand the corn up in the bottom of the garbage can. You want to make a firm base of the roasting corn, so use more or less as needed.
- Wash red potatoes, but do not peel. Peel onions, and cut into quarters. Prepare several heads of cabbage by cutting each head into sixths. Prepare carrots by washing and cutting in half. Note: You can use any vegetables - it's your choice. Place all the vegetables on top of the corn. Salt and pepper as desired as you go.
- Top all the vegetables with smoked sausage, Italian sausage, Polish sausage, hot dogs, or whatever you desire.
- Pour a large pot of boiling water over the top. Cover the garbage can and set it on the prepared grill. Cook for about 2 hours. If using a charcoal grill, watch the fire and add more coals occasionally.