Beer Can Chicken
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer, half-full of beer
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (3- to 3 1/2-pound) chicken
- Heat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Add the barbecue sauce to the half-full can of beer.
- In a small bowl, combine the basil, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder,
salt and pepper; mix well and rub evenly over the chicken.
- Place the cavity of the chicken over the beer can so that the chicken is
sitting on the can, then place on the rack in the center of the grill.
- Cover the grill and cook for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, or until no pink remains
and the juices run clear.
- Carefully pour the remaining sauce from the can into a bowl, and serve with
This can also be made with nonalcoholic beer or, for a different flavor, you
could use a half-filled can of lemonade and rub the chicken with lemon-pepper seasoning.
Cooking time will vary depending on the grill used.