Grilled Butterflied Chicken with Basil and Mint Vinaigrette
- 4 quarts water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 whole chicken, 3 1/2 - 4 pounds
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Brine: Combine water, sugar and salt in large stockpot. Bring to
a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10 minutes, or until
sugar and salt are dissolved. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Chicken: “Butterfly” chicken by removing backbone by cutting down either side of
the backbone with a sharp knife. Remove the backbone. Turn chicken over so that
rib bones are facing up and cut out breastbone.
- When brine is cool, add chicken to stockpot and refrigerate at least one,
and up to five, hours. Do not brine longer as chicken will become too salty.
- Remove chicken from brine and pat with paper towels to dry.
- Heat grill to high, or, if using coals, heat and arrange with more coals
on one side of grill than the other. (This creates two areas of heat – one high
and the other cooler.) Place chicken over high heat and grill about 4 minutes
per side until nicely browned.
- Turn off middle burner of gas grill (or one burner if there are only two)
and move chicken over the area that is turned off. Or, if using a charcoal grill,
move chicken to cooler area of grill. Grill chicken for another 18 – 20 minutes,
turning often, until chicken registers 180 degrees F when a thermometer is inserted
into the thickest part of the thigh. While chicken is grilling, make vinaigrette.
- Vinaigrette: Combine all ingredients
except the oil in a food processor. Pulse to combine. With motor running, slowly
pour oil into mixture; continue pulsing until well-incorporated.
- Remove chicken to a platter and pour vinaigrette over hot chicken. Turn
chicken to coat in sauce.
Yield: 4 servings
Nutrition Information, Per Serving: 630 calories; 41 g fat; 10 g saturated
fat; 6 g carbohydrate; 4 g sugar; 56 g protein
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
National Chicken Council
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Grilled Chicken and Turkey Recipes