Grilled Chicken, Plantain and Pineapple Skewers
A tropical take on a summer classic.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 8 whole chicken thighs; boneless and skinless, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 4 strips bacon, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 whole peeled pineapple, cored and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 whole ripe plantains; peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons oregano, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
Pineapple Dipping Sauce
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) jar pineapple fruit spread
- Remaining marinade
- Skewers: On eight 10-inch skewers, thread chicken, bacon, pineapple and plantains,
alternating ingredients. Set skewers on a tray with sides or in a glass baking
- In small bowl, stir together pineapple juice, lime juice, oregano and garlic
cloves. Pour pineapple juice mixture over skewers, turning to coat all sides
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, and up
to 24 hours, turning skewers occasionally.
- Before cooking chicken, prepare pineapple sauce.
- Prepare grill.
- When coals are hot, lift skewers out of marinade and brush lightly with
vegetable oil. Grill over medium-hot coals for about 20 minutes, turning often.
- Stir remaining marinade into sauce. Boil sauce over hot stove, stirring
often, for 4 minutes.
- Serve skewers hot, passing Pineapple Dipping Sauce separately.
- Pineapple Dipping Sauce: In a medium bowl, stir together 2 teaspoons vegetable
oil; 1 large onion, minced; 1 10-ounce jar of pineapple fruit spread and remaining
marinade. Boil as instructed before serving.
Photograph courtesy of Tyson Foods.
Recipe credit: National Chicken Council
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Grilled Chicken and Turkey Recipes