Grilled Chicken Salsa Verde
Make grilled chicken sizzle with flavor when you use tomatillos, jalapeños, cilantro
and garlic to create a salsa and marinade.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, halved
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 3/4 pound tomatillos (about 7)
- 1 medium to large jalapeño chile, cut in half lengthwise, seeded
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro (10 to 15 sprigs)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 1/4 pounds)
- In 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add garlic
and onion; cook about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until onion is tender.
- Remove husks from tomatilllos; rinse tomatilllos well. Cut around stem area
of each to remove core; cut tomatillos into quarters. In large food processor,
place garlic and onion, tomatillos, jalapeño chile, cilantro, sugar and 1/2
teaspoon of the salt. Cover; process about 15 seconds or until almost smooth.
- Pour 1 cup tomatillo mixture into small serving bowl; cover and refrigerate
to serve as salsa.
- To make marinade, add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and the cumin to remaining
mixture in food processor. Cover; process 10 seconds.
- Place chicken breasts in glass baking dish. Spoon marinade over chicken;
spread marinade over chicken to coat evenly. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate
at least 4 hours but no longer than 8 hours, turning chicken at least once while marinating.
- Heat gas or charcoal grill. Carefully brush additional oil on grill rack.
- Place chicken on grill over medium heat; discard marinade. Cover grill;
cook 12 to 15 minutes, turning once, until juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut (170 degrees F).
- Serve each chicken breast with about 2 tablespoons salsa.
Prep: 35 Min | Total: 4 Hr 50 Min | Servings: 6
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Betty Crocker
>> GRILLING RECIPES
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.