Grilled Chicken with Southwestern Green Chile and Tomato Sauce
Make the sauce ahead of time and reheat it in a heavy pan on the grill while
you cook the chicken.
- 4 large (6 to 8 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cups tomatoes, crushed
- 1/2 cup green chiles, chopped
- 3 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese, grated
- Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook until just soft.
- Add the tomatoes, chilies, broth, and spices. Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Grill the chicken.
- Top with warm sauce and garnish with the cheese.