Orange Soda Grilled Chicken
Looking forward to having some grilled dinner tonight? Then check out this delicious
whole chicken grilled with citrus marmalade.
- 1 (3 1/2 to 4-pound) whole roasting chicken
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 1 (12-ounce) clean can orange-flavored carbonated beverage
- 1/3 cup orange marmalade
- Reserved carbonated beverage
- 2 teaspoons oil
- Heat grill for indirect cooking as directed by manufacturer.
- Remove and discard neck and giblets from chicken cavity. Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
- In small bowl, combine salt, brown sugar and chili powder; mix well. Rub
1 1/2 teaspoons salt mixture inside chicken. Add 1/4 cup marmalade to remaining
salt mixture; mix well. Set aside.
- Open beverage can; measure out 2/3 cup beverage. Set aside 3 tablespoons
of the beverage and reserve remainder for another use. Add 2 teaspoons of the
reserved orange-flavored beverage to marmalade mixture, stirring until brushing
consistency. Spray outside of half-full can of beverage with nonstick cooking
spray; set in shallow baking pan. Carefully set chicken cavity over can, pushing
until chicken balances in pan. Rub skin of chicken with oil.
- When ready to grill, use tongs and spatula to remove chicken and can from
pan and set on grill for indirect cooking, making sure chicken is balanced.
Cover grill. Cook 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours or until chicken juices run clear and
instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh registers 180 degrees
F. During last 30 minutes of cooking time, brush chicken with marmalade mixture.
- With thick hot pads and tongs, carefully remove chicken and can from grill
to clean baking pan or platter. Twist can to remove from chicken. Discard any
beverage left in can. Let stand 5 minutes before carving.
- In small microwave-safe bowl, combine 1/3 cup marmalade and remaining 2
tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon carbonated beverage; mix well. Microwave on HIGH
for 30 seconds or until warm.
- Serve marmalade mixture with chicken.
Servings 4 | Prep Time 15 min | Total Time 1 hr 45 min
Marmalade is fruit preserves - usually citrus - with pieces of peel. The name
comes from the Portuguese word for quince jam. Oranges from Seville, Spain and the
most popular fruit used for marmalade.
The chicken, can, and the liquid inside the can all will become very hot; use
oven mitts to remove the can from the chicken.
Place the grilled chicken on a platter. Spoon grilled vegetables around the chicken
Nutrition Information Serving Size: 1 Serving Calories 520 (Calories from
Fat 235), Total Fat 26g (Saturated Fat 7g), Cholesterol 150mg Sodium 530mg Total
Carbohydrate 24g (Dietary Fiber 0g Sugars 17g), Protein 47g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 2%; Calcium 2%; Iron 12%
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 1 1/2 Fat; Carbohydrate
Choices: 1 1/2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):