Rosemary Chicken and Mushrooms
with Mixed Vegetables
Get the grill going! Cook up chicken, mushrooms, vegetables and fresh herbs for
a satisfying summer dish.
- 1 chicken, bone in and skin on (cut into two each breasts, thighs, drumsticks)
- 1 pound white button mushrooms
- 1/3 cup olive oil, plus extra for brushing vegetables
- 2/3 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh rosemary, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 6 inch sprigs rosemary with woody stems
- 2 pounds assorted summer vegetables cut into 1-inch pieces (summer squash,
onion wedges, bell peppers, tomatoes)
- Heat grill.
- Place chicken and mushrooms in separate gallon-size plastic zipper bags.
Whisk together olive oil, vegetable broth, rosemary and pepper and pour half
of mixture in each bag. Seal bags and turn several times to coat food with rosemary
oil. Bags may be prepared the night before and stored in refrigerator. If refrigerated,
return chicken to room temperature before grilling.
- Place chicken on grill skin side down and turn when skin turns deep brown.
Grill chicken until crispy on outside and juices run clear when pierced with
a fork, about 20 to 35 minutes. Remove and place on a platter; cover with foil
and let rest for about 10 minutes.
- While chicken cooks, thread mushrooms onto rosemary sprigs and other vegetables
onto bamboo or metal skewers. Keep like vegetables together and brush them,
excluding mushrooms, lightly with olive oil.
- While chicken rests, grill vegetables. Start with firmer vegetables like
mushrooms, onions and bell peppers, followed by softer ones like summer squash
and tomatoes. Rotate once and grill until lightly charred and tender, about
10 minutes for firmer vegetables, 6 for softer vegetables.
- Add vegetables to platter with chicken and serve.
Yield: 4 portions
Serving Size: 4 ounces chicken with 2 cups vegetables
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 300; Total Fat: 18g; Saturated Fat: 2.5g; Cholesterol:
45mg; Sodium: 660mg; Protein: 22g; Carbohydrates: 16g; Dietary Fiber: 4g
Recipe used with permission from the Mushroom Council and mushroominfo.com