- 1 whole chicken, cut into parts
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- Using poultry shears or sharp knife, split chicken along backbone, leaving
backbone intact. Flatten chicken by pressing down firmly.
- In a shallow, glass baking dish, mix together 1/4 cup Dijon mustard,
fresh parsley, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Add chicken, rubbing marinade over entire surface.
- Cover dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes or up to
- While chicken is marinating, prepare coals for grill.
- Place chicken on clean grill, discard remaining marinade.
- Grill chicken over medium-hot coals for 30 to 35 minutes, or until cooked
throughout, when fork can be inserted with ease.
- While chicken is grilling, whisk together the olive oil, orange juice,
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt
and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small saucepan.
- Transfer grilled chicken to cutting board; cool for 5 minutes.
- Over low heat, warm vinaigrette, whisking well.
- Carve chicken.
- Pour vinaigrette into pitcher.
- Serve chicken warm, passing vinaigrette separately.
Source: National Chicken Association