Super Crispy Grilled Chicken
Any Jewish grandmother worth her weight in Kosher salt can tell you that less you fool with a chicken, the better. The high temperature sears it; the quick cooking time renders it moist and tender, with a wondrously crispy crust. When you taste this, you will wonder why you ever bothered with marinating or basting.
- 1 (3 pound) whole roaster or fryer chicken
- 2 tablespoons Kosher or sea salt
- Heat the grill to the highest temperature, or set the oven to 500 degrees F.
- Remove the innards from the chicken, rinse it thoroughly in cold water, and pat it dry with paper towels. Cover every inch of it inside and out with the salt.
- If you are grilling it, place it on the upper rack of the barbecue grill with a small pan of water on the lower rack. Close the grill.
- If you are roasting it in the oven, place it in a roasting pan or iron skillet and turn the heat back to 400 degrees F.
- Whether grilled or roasted, the chicken will be finished in 40 minutes. Let it cool for 7 to 10 minutes, then carve and serve.