Tequila Sunrise Chicken Skewers
Tequila Sunrise Chicken Skewers would be an ideal appetizer for any get-together.
Prep: 20 min | Marinate: 4 hr | Cook: 15 min
Yield: 8 appetizer servings of 2 skewers each
Add a tablespoon of lime juice instead of tequila, if desired.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 cup Ocean Spray® Cranberry Juice Cocktail
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Sriracha (hot chile sauce), divided usage
- 1/2 cup Ocean Spray® Jellied Cranberry Sauce
- 2 tablespoons caramel sauce
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, as desired
- Fresh orange and lime slices, garnish
- Cut each chicken breast lengthwise into 4 strips – a total of 16 strips.
- Combine cranberry juice, orange juice, tequila and 1 teaspoon of the Sriracha, blending well. Add chicken strips, coating well; let marinate for
at least an hour or as long as 4 hours in the refrigerator. (If using bamboo skewers, soak them in warm water for at least 30 minutes prior to use.)
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1/4 teaspoon Sriracha with the cranberry sauce, caramel sauce, mustard and lime juice in a small saucepan.
Place over medium low heat, whisking until well blended, smooth and warm. Place into a small bowl and set aside. This will be used to baste the
- Heat gas grill to high, or make a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill. Oil grill grate. Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Thread 1 chicken strip
onto each of 16 (8-inch) skewers. Place chicken on grill; cook on one side until well-browned, about 4 to 5 minutes; turn and grill until the other
side is browned (about 3 to 4 minutes longer), basting with the cranberry-caramel mixture, until chicken is done and is nicely glazed.
- Remove skewers from grill; sprinkle as desired with salt and freshly ground black pepper and garnish with orange and lime slices.
Alternate method of cooking, if a broiler is preferred. Heat oven broiler; line a shallow baking pan or sheet with foil. Drain chicken, discarding
marinade. Thread 1 chicken strip onto each of 16 (8-inch) skewers. Place chicken on prepared baking pan and broil, turning once and watching closely to prevent burning, until browned and cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes total, basting occasionally with the cranberry-caramel mixture.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Ocean Spray 2012 Tailgating Recipe Contest Finalist Janice Elder, Charlotte, NC