Grilling, Smoking and Barbecuing Recipes
Tequila Sunrise Chicken Skewers
Tequila Sunrise Chicken Skewers would be an ideal appetizer for any get-together.
Prep: 20 min | Marinate: 4 hr | Cook: 15 min
Yield: 8 appetizer servings of 2 skewers each
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 cup Ocean Spray® Cranberry Juice Cocktail
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons tequila*
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Sriracha (hot chile sauce), divided usage
- 1/2 cup Ocean Spray® Jellied Cranberry Sauce
- 2 tablespoons caramel sauce
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, as desired
- Fresh orange and lime slices, garnish
- Cut each chicken breast lengthwise into 4 strips – a total of 16 strips.
- Combine cranberry juice, orange juice, tequila and 1 teaspoon of the Sriracha, blending well. Add chicken strips, coating well; let marinate for at least an hour or as long as 4 hours in the refrigerator. (If using bamboo skewers, soak them in warm water for at least 30 minutes prior to use.)
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1/4 teaspoon Sriracha with the cranberry sauce, caramel sauce, mustard and lime juice in a small saucepan. Place over medium low heat, whisking until well blended, smooth and warm. Place into a small bowl and set aside. This will be used to baste the chicken.
- Heat gas grill to high, or make a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill. Oil grill grate. Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Thread 1 chicken strip onto each of 16 (8 inch) skewers. Place chicken on grill; cook on one side until well-browned, about 4 to 5 minutes; turn and grill until the other side is browned (about 3 to 4 minutes longer), basting with the cranberry-caramel mixture, until chicken is done and is nicely glazed.
- Remove skewers from grill; sprinkle as desired with salt and freshly ground black pepper and garnish with orange and lime slices.
* Add a tablespoon of lime juice instead of tequila, if desired.
Alternate method of cooking, if a broiler is preferred: Heat oven broiler; line a shallow baking pan or sheet with foil. Drain chicken, discarding
marinade. Thread 1 chicken strip onto each of 16 (8 inch) skewers. Place chicken on prepared baking pan and broil, turning once and watching closely to prevent burning, until browned and cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes total, basting occasionally with the cranberry-caramel mixture.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Ocean Spray 2012 Tailgating Recipe Contest Finalist Janice Elder, Charlotte, NC