Baby Back Ribs with Orange-Chipotle Glaze
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 (7 ounce) can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, pureed in the blender or
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 or 6 slabs baby back ribs, 10 to 12 ribs per slab
- Chinese five-spice powder
- Kosher salt
- Coarse black pepper
- To make the glaze: In a heavy 3-gallon non-reactive stockpot, reduce the
orange juice to 1/4 cup. Add the vinegar, peppers, soy sauce and sugar and cook
over medium-high heat until the sugar is melted and the sauce has reduced to
4 cups and coats the back of a spoon, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- To make the ribs: Heat a gas or charcoal grill to medium-high. Season the
ribs liberally on both sides with the spices. Place the ribs on the grill and
cook about 5 minutes per side. Remove the ribs and let cool.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wrap the ribs in plastic wrap, then in foil, place on a baking sheet, and
bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the ribs from the oven and let cool while still wrapped. Before serving,
spoon the Orange-Chipotle Glaze over the ribs, liberally coating both sides.
- Serve 1 slab of ribs per person, and pass the remaining glaze at the table.
4 to 6 servings
Approximate values per serving: 785 calories, 43 g fat, 105 mg cholesterol,
43 g protein, 55 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 1,152 mg sodium, 50 percent calories
Source: Chef Emeril Lagasse