Calgary Stampede Ribs
- 4 pounds pork back ribs, cut into serving-size pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Ribs: Rub ribs with garlic; place in a shallow roasting pan. Cover and
bake at 300 degrees F for 2 hours. Cool slightly.
- Combine the seasonings and rub over ribs. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Barbecue Sauce: In a saucepan, sauté onion in butter until tender.
- Stir in the remaining sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; set aside 3/4 cup.
- Brush ribs with some of the remaining sauce. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 12 minutes, turning and basting with sauce.
- Serve with reserved sauce.
Yield: 4 servings