Grilled Spareribs with Cherry Cola Glaze
- 4 (12 ounce) cans cherry cola (flat)
- 2 cups cherry jam or preserves
- 2/3 cup Dijon mustard with horseradish
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons malt vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 7 to 7 1/2 pounds well-trimmed pork spareribs
- Boil cherry cola in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat until reduced
to 1 1/2 cups, about 45 minutes.
- Stir in next 5 ingredients. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until mixture
is reduced to 2 1/2 cups, stirring occasionally, about 35 minutes.
- Transfer glaze to large bowl. Position racks in top and bottom thirds of
oven and preheat to 325 degrees F.
- Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper. Wrap each rib rack tightly in aluminum
foil, enclosing completely.
- Divide foil packets between 2 rimmed baking sheets. Bake until ribs are
very tender, switching positions of baking sheets halfway through baking, about
2 hours total. Cool ribs slightly in foil. Pour off any fat from foil packets.
- Prepare barbecue (medium-low heat).
- Cut each rib rack between bones into individual ribs. Set aside 1 cup glaze.
Add ribs to bowl with remaining glaze and toss to coat. Grill ribs until brown
and glazed, turning to prevent burning, about 5 minutes total.
- Serve, passing reserved glaze separately.