Kansas City-Style Barbecued Beef Short Ribs
- 4 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 medium onion, peeled and minced
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup catsup
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Set ribs out of the refrigerator to warm to room temperature.
- Heat grill.
- Meanwhile, make sauce. Sauté onion and garlic in butter in a skillet until onion is clear, then add remaining ingredients and simmer 20 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Dip ribs into hot barbecue sauce, then place on the grill.
- Feed fire small pieces of aromatic twigs — fruit cuttings, grape or hickory.
- Cover and barbecue until ribs are done, about 1 1/2 hours, keeping fire low, turning from time to time and basting with reserved sauce. Douse any flame-ups.
- Serve at once.
Makes 8 servings.