Grilled Panzanella Salad
Grilled Panzanella Salad. Seasoned sourdough bread is grilled and mixed with bell peppers, grape tomatoes, olives, basil and asiago cheese, then topped with balsamic vinaigrette.
- 8 ounces day-old sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup roasted red bell peppers, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups yellow grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup Nicoise or Kalamata olives, halved if large
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup grated Asiago cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons golden balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Heat grill or grill pan to medium heat.
- Salad: Cut bread into 1-inch thick slices. Brush both sides with olive oil and season with salt. Grill bread on both sides until toasted and grill marks are present.
- When bread is cool enough to handle, rub garlic clove on both sides. Cut into 1-inch cubes.
- In large bowl, combine bread, peppers, tomatoes, olives, basil and cheese.
- Balsamic Vinaigrette: In small bowl, combine balsamic vinegar and garlic.
Whisk in olive oil in slow stream until combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Toss vinaigrette with salad and serve immediately. Garnish with additional fresh basil and grated cheese, if desired.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Edna Valley Vineyard