Grilled Panzanella Salad
Seasoned sourdough bread is grilled and mixed with bell peppers, grape tomatoes,
olives, basil and asiago cheese, then topped with balsamic vinaigrette.
- 8 ounces day-old sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup roasted red bell peppers, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups yellow grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup Nicoise or Kalamata olives, halved if large
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup grated Asiago cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons golden balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Heat grill or grill pan to medium heat.
- For salad: Cut bread into 1-inch thick slices. Brush both sides with olive
oil and season with salt. Grill bread on both sides until toasted and grill
marks are present.
- When bread is cool enough to handle, rub garlic clove on both sides. Cut
into 1-inch cubes.
- In large bowl, combine bread, peppers, tomatoes, olives, basil and cheese.
- For balsamic vinaigrette: In small bowl, combine balsamic vinegar and garlic.
Whisk in olive oil in slow stream until combined. Season with salt and pepper,
- Toss vinaigrette with salad and serve immediately. Garnish with additional
fresh basil and grated cheese, if desired.
Recipe and photo credit: Edna Valley Vineyard - ednavalleyvineyard.com.