Southwest Steak and Many Layered Salad
- 1 beef Flank Steak (about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds)
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 3 medium ears corn, unhusked
- 9 cups coarsely chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) black beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 1/2 cups coarsely crushed tortilla chips
- 1 large ripe avocado, mashed (about 3/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup prepared ranch dressing
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- Whisk dressing ingredients in medium bowl until blended. Remove 1/2 cup for marinade and stir in chipotle peppers.
- Cover and reserve remaining dressing in refrigerator.
- Place beef steak and chipotle marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat.
- Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight, turning occasionally.
- Pull back husks from corn, leaving husks attached. Remove and discard corn silk. Bring husks back up around corn; tie in place with kitchen string or strips of corn husk. Soak in cold water 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade.
- Remove corn from water.
- Place steak in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals; arrange corn on grid around steak. Grill corn, covered, 20 to 30 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally. Grill steak 11 to 16 minutes for medium rare (145 degrees F) to medium (160 degrees F) doneness, turning occasionally.
- Remove steak; let stand 5 minutes.
- Husk corn; cut kernels from cobs.
- Cut steak lengthwise in half; carve each half across the grain into thin slices.
- Layer 1/2 of lettuce, corn, 1/2 of beef, tomatoes and beans in 4-quart glass salad bowl or 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish. Top with remaining lettuce and beef. Drizzle with, reserved dressing. Top with tortilla chips just before serving.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
Total Recipe Time: 45 to 50 minutes
Makes 6 to 8 servings
To prepare on gas grill, preheat grill according to manufacturer’s directions for medium heat. Place corn and steak on grid as directed above. Grill corn, covered, 15 to 25 minutes or until tender, turning every 5 minutes. Grill steak, covered, 16 to 21 minutes for medium rare (145 degrees F) to medium (160 degrees F) doneness, turning occasionally.
Nutrition information per serving (1/6 of recipe): 562 calories; 29 g fat (6 g saturated fat; 8 g monounsaturated fat); 49 mg cholesterol; 1318 mg sodium; 46 g carbohydrate; 10.5 g fiber; 33 g protein; 8.7 mg niacin; 0.8 mg vitamin B6; 1.4 mcg vitamin B12; 4.4 mg iron; 32.1 mcg selenium; 5.3 mg zinc
Nutrition information per serving (1/8 of recipe): 510 calories; 28 g fat (6 g saturated fat; 7 g monounsaturated fat); 49 mg cholesterol; 111 mg sodium; 37 g carbohydrate; 9.5 g fiber; 31 g protein; 8.8 mg niacin; 0.7 mg vitamin B6; 1.4 mcg vitamin B12; 4.1 mg iron; 27.9 mcg selenium; 5 mg zinc
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc.
Reprinted with permission from
the Beef Checkoff.