Beer-Simmered Grilled Sausages
- A needle or pin and a cork
- 3 pounds uncooked sausages, such as sweet or hot Italian sausages, bratwurst,
chorizo, linguica, or any other sausages you prefer
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cups beer, as needed
- About 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Mustard, for serving
- Prick each sausage a half-dozen times with a needle or pin stuck in a cork.
- Arrange the onion slices on the bottom of a sauté pan just large enough
to hold all the sausages.
- Place the sausages on top and add beer and water to cover (the ratio should
be about 3 parts beer to 1 part water). Place the pan over medium heat and gradually
bring the liquid to a simmer, not a rapid boil. Poach the sausages until half-cooked,
4 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer the sausages to a rack on a baking sheet to drain or drain in a
colander. Separate the sausages into links.
- Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat to medium-high.
- When ready to cook, brush and oil the grill grate.
- Lightly brush the sausages on all sides with oil and place on the hot grate.
Grill until the casings are crisp and nicely browned and the sausages are cooked
through, 4 to 6 minutes per side. You may want to rotate the sausages 90 degrees
after 2 minutes on each side to create an attractive crosshatch of grill marks.
Should flare-ups arise, move the sausages to a different section of the grill.
Use a slender metal skewer to test for doneness. Insert it into the center of
one of the sausages: It should come out hot to the touch.
- Transfer the sausages to plates or a platter and let rest for 3 minutes.
- Serve with plenty of mustard.
Poaching is optional and not every grill jockey does it. If you omit the poaching,
you'll need to grill the sausages 7 to 10 minutes per side.
For absolutely foolproof sausage grilling, use the indirect method. The sausages
will be fully cooked in about 30 minutes.
Posted by Marla at Recipe Goldmine 1/10/2002 6:53 am.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.