Carolina Barbecue Burgers
- 1 pound ground beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup beer
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup thinly sliced cabbage
- 4 toasted hamburger buns, split
- To prepare barbecue sauce, combine brown sugar, beer, mustard and vinegar
in small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 to 17 minutes
until thickened and reduced in to 1/2 cup, stirring occasionally.
- Lightly shape ground beef into four 1/2-inch thick patties.
- Place patties on grid over medium, ash-covered coals.
- Grill, covered, 8 to 10 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill,
covered, 7 to 9 minutes) until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally
into center registers 160 degrees F, turning occasionally.
- About 2 minutes before burgers are done, place bun, cut sides down, on grid.
Grill until lightly toasted.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon sauce on bottom of each bun; top with burger.
- Evenly top burgers with cabbage.
- Evenly spoon remaining sauce over cabbage.
- Close sandwiches.
Total Recipe Time: 25 to 30 minutes | Makes 4 servings.
Test Kitchen Tips
Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Color is not a
reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Packaged coleslaw mix or shredded lettuce may be substituted for the shredded
Top shredded cabbage with fried dill pickle chips, if desired.
Nutrition information per serving: 332 calories; 10 g fat (4 g saturated
fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 75 mg cholesterol; 443 mg sodium; 32 g carbohydrate;
1.8 g fiber; 27 g protein; 7.1 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6, ; 2.2 mcg vitamin B12;
4.2 mg iron; 33.0 mcg selenium; 6.0 mg zinc; 83.7 mg choline
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, iron, zinc, niacin, vitamin B6,
vitamin B12 and selenium.
Recipe and photo credit: Beef Checkoff