Chipotle Burger with Chile Poblano and Avocado
These burgers have a spicy and smoky flavor. The poblano pepper is a large green pepper usually found near the jalapeño peppers in the produce aisle. Once cooked it is tender, mild flavor but not very spicy. Find the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in a small can near the Hispanic aisle. If you don’t like hot flavors just omit the chipotle peppers and give it a try with the poblano pepper.
- 2 poblano chiles, roasted, charred, seeded and deveined
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup onions, minced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, divided
- 4 hamburger bun or gluten free bun
- 4 lettuce slices
- 4 tomato slices
- 1-3 chipotle peppers from can, minced (or more depending on your taste)
- Salt and pepper, as desired
- 1 ripe fresh Hass avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and mashed
- Preheat the grill. Roast the poblano chiles on the hot grill for 8 to 10 minutes, turning them on all sides until charred. Remove from heat, place in a bowl and cover the bowl with a plate for 5 minutes.
- Mix ground beef with chipotle chile, garlic, onion and season with salt and pepper as desired. Divide the meat into four patties. Reserve.
- Grill hamburger patties until 145 degrees F.
- Meanwhile peel off carefully the charred skin of the poblano chiles and discard seeds and stem. An easier way to clean is to hold the stem, and scrape charred skin with a butter knife. Avoid running the chile under running water because it will lose some of the flavor. Keep aside and cut poblano chile in strip lengthwise and then dice.
- Mash avocado and pour in juice of 1/2 of a lime. Combine poblano chile with mashed avocado.
- Warm hamburger bun on the grill. Squeeze lime on hamburger patties once cooked.
- Layer the bottom hamburger bun with 1 lettuce and tomato slice, top with cooked hamburger patty, then the avocado topper and end with the top bun.
- Serve with lime wedges.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 30 Minutes
Nutrition Facts - Amount Per Serving - One serving=one burger: Calories 380 Total Fat 15.0g Saturated Fat 4.0g Trans Fat 0.0g Polyunsaturated Fat 1.9g Monounsaturated Fat 7.6g Cholesterol 70.0mg Sodium 710.0mg Total Carbohydrates 33.0g Dietary Fiber 6.0g Sugar 6.0g Protein 29.0g
Vitamin A 4832 IU Vitamin C 91 Calcium 104 Iron 4.8 Vitamin D 1.5 Folate 106 Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.1
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 100%; Vitamin C 150%; Calcium 10%; Iron 25%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 Calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Note: Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Reprinted with permission from
the Hass Avocado Board.