Grilled Onion Cheeseburgers
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 large yellow or white onions, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 4 white or whole wheat hamburger buns, or Kaiser rolls, split
- 3 ounces crumbled or shredded cheese (blue cheese, smoked mozzarella, goat cheese, feta, etc.) *
- Combine ground beef, thyme and garlic in medium bowl, mixing lightly but
thoroughly. Lightly shape into eight 1/2-inch thick patties. Brush both sides
of onion slices with oil. Place patties and onion slices on grill over medium,
- Grill patties, uncovered, 11 to 13 minutes to medium (160 degrees F) doneness
until no longer pink in center and juices show no pink color, turning occasionally.
Grill onions 15 to 20 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally and brushing
with oil. Season patties with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Add desired cheese to burgers about 1 minute before removing from grill.
Place cheese-topped burgers on bottom of each bun and top with 1/2 of grilled
onions. Close sandwiches. Cover and refrigerate remaining 4 burgers and onions.
Yield: 4 servings
Total prep and cooking time: 35 to 45 min
* Any type of sliced cheese may also be used to top burgers, including Cheddar,
Swiss, provolone and Gouda.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Cattlemen's Beef Board and National Cattlemen's Beef
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.