Grilled Vegetable Sandwich with Walnut Aioli
Grilled veggies may never have tasted so good thanks to a walnut aioli that adds flavour and protein! Delicately balanced spices and herbs lend an earthy aroma and mouthwatering flavors to every bite. The lemon walnut aioli tastes great with grilled chicken. The aioli can also be used as a burger spread or as a veggie dip.
Lemon Walnut Aioli
- 1 cup California walnuts, toasted *
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 lemon, juiced
Grilled Vegetable Sandwich
- 1 zucchini, medium, sliced 1/2-inch (1 cm) coins
- 1 eggplant, small, sliced 1/2-inch (1 cm)
- 1 orange pepper, sliced in strips
- 4 tomatoes, small, sliced in half
- 1 onion, sliced 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 1 clove garlic
- Handful basil leaves, chiffonade (optional)
- Lemon Walnut Aioli: In a food processor, add walnuts, Dijon, tahini, mayonnaise and lemon juice; pulse into a chunky paste. Set aside.
- Grilled Vegetable Sandwich: In a large bowl, toss zucchini, eggplant, pepper, tomatoes and onion with 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of olive oil, salt and pepper and grill to desired doneness.
- Brush bread with remaining oil and lightly grill on both sides. Rub each slice of bread gently with garlic.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of lemon walnut aioli on two slices of bread, and place 1/4 of the grilled vegetables between the slices.
- Repeat with remaining bread and vegetables.
Total Time 30 Mins
Cook Time 10 Mins
Active Time 20 Mins
Yield 4 sandwiches
Serving Size 1 sandwich
Optional: Garnish sandwiches with basil leaves.
* Toasting Walnuts
Baking: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Arrange walnuts on a cookie sheet in a single layer. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, checking frequently.
Stovetop: Cook walnuts in a skillet at medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Nutrition Information: 714 Calories Fat 45g Saturated Fat 6g Cholesterol 3mg Sodium 971mg Carbohydrates 67g Dietary Fiber 9g Protein 16g
Reprinted with permission from