Low Fat Burger with Show Stopper Topper
The salsa topper is a snap to make and tastes fabulous on grilled burgers or grilled chicken sandwiches.
- 1/2 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey (skinless)
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon lite Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon each chili powder and celery seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cumin, salt, and black pepper
- 4 hamburger rolls
Show Stopper Burger Topper
- 2 cups seeded and diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup diced onions
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Burgers: Combine all burger ingredients (beef through black pepper) in a large bowl. Mix well (using your hands works best). Divide into 4 equal portions. Shape each portion into a 1/2 inch thick patty. Separate patties using wax paper. This also makes it easier to transfer them to the grill.
- Prepare grill. Cook burgers 4-5 minutes on each side, or until desired doneness is reached. Baste with your favorite barbeque sauce.
- Serve on hamburger rolls with your favorite toppings.
- Show Stopper Burger Topper: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well. Allow to stand for 30 minutes for flavors to develop. Spoon salsa over hot burgers.
Makes 4 burgers; 2 cups topper
Hint: Top your burger with non-fat or low-fat cheese slices instead of the regular kind and save about 7 grams of fat per burger.
Burger Per Serving 307 calories, 9.5g fat, 23g carbohydrate, 506 mg sodium, 70 mg cholesterol
Salsa: Per Serving (2 tablespoon) 9 calories, 0 cholesterol
Posted by Olga at Recipe Goldmine 4/26/02 6:10:00 pm.