Roasted Poblano Burgers with Pepper Jack Cheese
Freshly roasted poblano peppers are the star of these delicious burgers.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large poblano peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 slices pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 cup chipotle mayonnaise
- 8 (2-ounce) whole-grain hamburger buns
- 8 slices curly leaf lettuce
- Combine ground beef in a large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four 3/4-inch thick patties. Season each side with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place poblano pepper on a baking sheet. Rub each pepper with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven until the skin of the pepper is blackened, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and steam for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the bowl, peel, remove the stems and seeds and coarsely chop.
- Light charcoal grill. The fire should be quite hot; you should barely be able to hold your hand 3 or 4 inches over the grates. After the coals are gray, spray grates with cooking spray or brush with oil to help keep burgers from sticking.
- Place patties on grill and cook about 4 minutes per side for rare, another minute per side for each increasing stage of doneness.
- Top each burger with a slice of cheese the last 2 minutes of cooking time.
- Evenly spread 1 tablespoon chipotle mayonnaise on top and bottom of each bun.
- Place burgers on bottoms of buns.
- Top each burger evenly with chopped poblano pepper and lettuce.
Yield: 8 servings
Reprinted with permission from
Texas Beef Council.