Apple Orchard Barbecue Sauce
- 1 medium onion, grated or finely chopped
- 4 cups pressed apple cider (not pasteurized apple juice)
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon celery salt or celery seed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 2 (12 ounce) bottles chili sauce
- Hot pepper sauce, to taste (optional)
- Bring all ingredients to boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer
until sauce is thickened and volume is halved.
- Pour hot sauce into two 1-pint sterilized jars. Seal with 2-piece sterilized
lids. Water-bath process for 10 minutes.
- Remove with tongs. Cool.