Best of the West Barbecue Sauce
This sauce has been around for so long that its origin has disappeared into the
sunset. It can be used for many things.
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups white onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 1/2 cups bottled water
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup Mexican lime juice
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried sweet basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup pancake syrup
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Simmer slowly at least 2 hours
uncovered. Sauce will become bitter if cooked with a lid.
Makes about 4 cups.