Chef Ray's Jack Daniels Habanero Bar-B-Que Sauce
- 1 #10 can ketchup
- 1 #10 can tomato puree
- 1 liter water
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 3 cups molasses
- 36 bay leaves
- 7 habanero peppers cut in half with seeds removed
- 1 1/2 pounds dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup tamarind paste (available at Mexican or Indian specialty stores)
- 5 pounds diced tomatoes
- 1 cup finely chopped garlic
- 24 whole cloves
- 3 medium onions, diced and caramelized
- 3 teaspoons spiced smoked salt
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 3 cups Jack Daniels whiskey
- Mix all ingredients together except cayenne pepper and Jack Daniels. Bring to a boil and simmer on low heat for 6-8 hours, stirring occasionally to prevent the bottom from burning. Add more water if the sauce becomes too thick.
- A half hour before sauce is ready, add cayenne pepper and Jack Daniels.
- Use sauce on ribs, lamb, chicken, or beef.
Makes 1 1/2 gallons of sauce.
Source: Cruise Chef - served on the Universe Explorer 18-night Central America cruise