Chinese Barbecue Sauce
- 1 cup Tennessee whiskey
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) freshly squeezed orange juice, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five spice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Combine all ingredients except 2 tablespoons of the orange juice and the cornstarch. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes; stir occasionally.
- Mix cornstarch with remaining 2 tablespoons of the orange juice until smooth; stir into sauce. Increase temperature to medium-high. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens.
- Brush sauce on grilled chicken, steak or fish during last 5 minutes of grilling.
Makes about 2 1/2 cups.
Source: Oak-Ridger newspaper, Oak Ridge, Tennessee - 01/17/01
Please SHOP HERE to support this site. We are an Amazon affiliate as a means of paying for the high cost of maintaining Recipe Goldmine. Thank you.