Coca-Cola Barbecue Sauce
- 1 cup Coca-Cola
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 cup A-1 Steak Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a heavy, nonreactive saucepan (not uncoated aluminum
or cast iron).
- Gradually bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat slightly to obtain
a gentle simmer. Simmer the sauce until reduced by a quarter, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Use right away or transfer to a large jar, cover, cool to room temperature and
The sauce will keep for several months.
Source: Jim Budros, a champion at the Kansas City Royal International Barbecue
Contest, as printed in "Barbecue! Bible Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes,
Butters & Glazes"