Hawaiian Barbecue Sauce
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon each: Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce, orange juice
- 1 teaspoon cherry juice (drained from a jar of maraschino cherries) or grenadine
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons each: coarsely ground black pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon each: onion powder, orange-flavored liqueur, such as Grand Marnier
- Combine the mustard, brown sugar, Worcestershire, hot sauce, orange juice and cherry juice in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat; heat to a boil. Cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the ketchup, black pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, onion powder and liqueur. Reduce heat to a simmer; cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 10 minutes.
Makes 3 cups.
Nutritional information per tablespoon: 22 calories, 3 percent of calories from fat, 0.1 g fat, 0 saturated fat, 0 cholesterol, 5 g carbohydrates, 0.2 g protein, 129 mg sodium, 0.2 g fiber.