Kansas City Sauce
Liquid smoke flavoring recreates the flavor of authentic pit barbecue. Use Kansas
City sauce for beef, pork or chicken.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle ketchup (2 cups)
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup prepared yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Place oil in a large non-aluminum saucepan over medium-low heat, then sauté onion,
bell pepper and garlic until soft (about 10 minutes).
- Add ketchup, molasses, hot pepper sauce, mustard, vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire
sauce, liquid smoke and lemon juice. Continue to simmer slowly for 20 to 30 minutes.
Stir frequently to prevent sauce from burning.
- Let rest at least 1 hour after cooking to allow flavors to blend.
Yields 4 cups.