This is undoubtedly one of the best rubs you will ever find. I've found that it works equally well on other meats such as chicken and wild game.
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder blend
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Stir together all ingredients.
- Pat the rub thickly over the meat you are going to cook.
- Cover and let stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour or refrigerate for up to 24 hours before grilling.
This makes enough for about 5 pounds of meat.