Spirited Barbecue Sauce
- 6 cups tomato sauce, homemade or commercial
- 3 cups mild chili sauce, homemade or commercial
- 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup liquid hickory smoke (available in supermarkets)
- 6 tablespoons molasses
- 3 teaspoons Tabasco sauce, or to taste
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 extra large onions, chopped
- 1 large lemon, sliced
- 1 medium orange, sliced
- 1 large lime, sliced
- 6 teaspoons dry powdered mustard
- 1 cup Jack Daniels whiskey or bourbon (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan, bring gently to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Stir from time to time to prevent scorching.
- Pass the sauce through a fine sieve to remove the solid ingredients, pour into clean storage jars, and freeze.
This makes enough for about 10 barbecues. It freezes well and makes a great gift too.