Texas Sauce is excellent for beef, pork or chicken, this sauce is better
the day after it is made.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup canned tomato puree
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Salt, to taste
- In large non-aluminum saucepan, melt butter over medium-low and sauté onion,
celery and garlic until soft (about 10 minutes).
- Add tomato puree, vinegar, brown sugar, broth, Worcestershire sauce, bay
leaves, pepper, cayenne pepper, cumin, chili powder and salt. Simmer for about
30 minutes, stirring frequently so that sauce doesn't burn.
- Let sauce rest at least 1 hour to allow flavors to blend.
- Store in refrigerator.
YieldL 4 cups