The Only Marinade You'll Ever Need
This marinade goes great with everything — poultry, seafood, veal, pork, lamb and vegetables.
The larger the piece of meat, the longer you should marinate it. If marinating poultry, meat or seafood, simply set a portion aside for basting. DO NOT use the same marinade in which you marinated the meat to baste the meat as it is cooking. Always use a fresh batch or some that you have set aside for that purpose.
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, or to taste
- 4 strips lemon zest
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed or minced
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil, cilantro, dill, oregano, or mix of all four
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Combine lemon juice, hot pepper flakes, cracked pepper and salt in nonreactive (glass, ceramic or stainless steel) bowl and whisk until salt is dissolved.
- Add lemon zest, garlic, parsley and basil.
- Stir or whisk in olive oil.
- Use this marinade within 1 to 2 hours of making. Stir again before using.
Makes 1 cup or 4 servings.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 250 calories; 27.1 g fat (3.7 g saturated fat; 98 percent calories from fat); 2.9 g carbohydrates; 0 mg cholesterol; 195 mg sodium; 0.4 g protein; 0.6 g fiber