Zesty Barbecue Sauce
- 1 gallon ketchup
- 1 quart water
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and diced
- 3/4 cup commercial hot salsa
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles, undrained
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried celery flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a large Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over medium
heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally,
2 hours or to desired consistency.
- Refrigerate sauce and use within 2 weeks or freeze.
This makes 1 gallon!