Country Style Barbecued Onions with Baked Beans
- 2 cups wood chips (preferably hickory)
- 8 medium Vidalia onions
- 1 (16 ounce) can Bush's Country Style Baked Beans
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sweet red barbecue sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into 8 pieces, at room temperature
- 2 strips bacon, precooked, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Soak hickory chips in lidded pot filled with water for 15-30 minutes.
- Drain chips and set aside.
- Set up grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium heat (350 degrees
F). Cut off onion stems and peel off skin. Hollow out onions using a sharp paring
knife. Start at top (opposite the stem end) to cut an inverted cone-shaped cavity.
Finely chop pieces removed from onions.
- In mixing bowl, combine Bush's Country Style Baked Beans, onions, brown
sugar and barbecue sauce. Spoon baked bean mixture into onions. Top each onion
with 1/2 tablespoon butter, ground pepper and strip of bacon.
- Arrange onions on grill grate away from fire. If using a charcoal grill,
toss wood chips on coals. If using a gas grill, place wood chips in smoke box.
Indirect grill onions 40 to 60 minutes or until they are golden brown and tender.
Transfer onions to serving platter and serve immediately.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.