Grilled Rack of California Asparagus
This is an impressive and easy way to show off your grill techniques with a fun presentation.
- 1 pound fresh California asparagus
For the vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons shallots, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon sweet mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs, your choice, chopped
- 6-Inch wooden bamboo skewers
- 8-10 chopped fresh herbs, for garnish
- lemon zest, for garnish
- Asparagus: In a pot of boiling salted water, blanche the asparagus for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- On a cutting board divide the bunch of asparagus into servings of 6 to 7 spears. Line up the servings in a row. Run one skewer 2 inches from the top and a second skewer 2 inches from the bottom through all the spears to create a horizontal rack.
- For the vinaigrette: Put all the ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake well.
- To grill asparagus: Brush racks liberally with vinaigrette to coat well. Grill racks over a medium-high heat barbecue or grill pan for 2-3 minutes on each side until tender.
- Serve with extra vinaigrette. Top with chopped fresh herbs and lemon zest.
Serves 3 to 5.
Reprinted with permission from
the California Asparagus Commission.