- 1 medium-size (1 pound) eggplant, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Fruitwood chips or dried grape vines
- 2 medium-size zucchini
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- 1 medium-size sweet red pepper
- 1 medium-size sweet yellow or green pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In colander, lightly sprinkle each eggplant slice on both sides with salt.
Let eggplant stand 30 minutes over the sink or a bowl until liquid drips out.
- Meanwhile, heat coals or wood in a grill until medium-hot, and soak wood
chips in water 30 minutes. Lightly oil or coat grill rack with nonstick vegetable
cooking spray and set aside.
- Cut zucchini lengthwise into thirds, then crosswise in half. Cut tomatoes
and onion crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices, keeping the onion rings together.
Rinse eggplant with cold water and pat dry. Place cut vegetables in a single
layer on a tray or shallow pan.
- Drain wood chips and place on hot coals. Heat grill rack. Place red and
yellow peppers on hot grill rack about 4 to 6 inches above medium-hot coals
and grill, turning every 5 minutes, until blistered on all sides. Place peppers
in a brown paper bag or plastic food-storage bag; let stand until cool enough
- Meanwhile, in skillet on the grill, heat oil and cook the garlic a few seconds.
Remove skillet from grill. Lightly brush both sides of vegetables on tray with
some garlic oil. Grill vegetables over medium coals until crisp- tender. The
eggplant and zucchini will take about 4 minutes per side, the onion about 3
minutes per side, and the tomatoes about l minute per side.
- When all vegetables are grilled, return to tray. Peel, seed, and cut cooled
peppers into strips. Cut grilled tomatoes into small chunks. Coarsely cut up
grilled onion and place in skillet with any leftover garlic oil. Heat on grill
over low coals for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, basil, and black pepper; cook on grill until tomatoes are
bubbly. Cut eggplant slices into halves or quarters but leave small slices whole.
Stir zucchini, eggplant, and grilled peppers into tomato mixture in skillet.
Heat through and serve.