Zucchini Lasagna on the Grill
- 2 to 3 large zucchini, sliced thin on a Chinese mandoline
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta
- 2 cups grated mozzarella
- 1 to 2 cups fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely minced garlic
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- White or red wine (optional)
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lasagna: Lightly spray inside surface of a disposable aluminum 9 x 13-inch pan with
olive oil spray. Lay down a layer of the thinly sliced zucchini, overlapping
zucchini to fit into the pan.
- Spread 1/3 to 1/2 cup of the Tomato Sauce over the zucchini and top with
half of the ricotta cheese and half of the mozzarella cheese.
- Place another layer of zucchini over the top of the cheeses. Top that with
more of the tomato sauce and repeat with the cheeses. Top the mozzarella cheese
with the fresh grated Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and place on preheated gas grill at a medium to medium-low
setting. Depending on the grill, this takes 45 to 60 minutes to cook thoroughly. Remove the foil cover for the last 10 minutes of baking so the cheeses turn a nice brown color.
- Let sit for at least 10 minutes after removing from the grill before serving.
- Tomato Sauce: In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over low heat. Add garlic and onion and cook, stirring for 4 to 5 minutes, until translucent.
- Add a little wine for flavor if you like.
- Add tomatoes and their juice, the dried oregano and the tomato paste.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally and breaking
the tomatoes into smaller pieces as they cook.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Yield: 8 servings
Optional: Fresh mushrooms can be added; ground turkey can be added at the start
or even hot Italian sausages can be used.
Approximate values per serving: 317 calories, 21 g fat, 64 mg cholesterol,
12 g carbohydrates, 22 g protein, 617 mg sodium, 59 percent of calories from fat