Barbecued Venison Steaks
- Venison hindquarter
- Lawry's unseasoned tenderizer (optional)
- Pepper (optional)
Mule Jail Barbecue Sauce
- 1 pound butter or margarine
- 2 cups water
- 1 (5 ounce) bottle Worcestershire sauce
- Juice of 6 lemons (reserve rinds of 3)
- 2 onions, quartered
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Slice hindquarter across the grain into steaks 1/2 inch thick. Trim all
fat and gristle. Tenderize and lightly pepper each side at this point, if desired.
- Cook steaks over charcoal grill, with hickory chips added, basting with
Mule Jail Barbecue Sauce. Steaks should be cooked medium to medium well in order
to be juicy and tender. Cooked well done, they will be tough.
- Mule Jail Barbecue Sauce: Melt butter in saucepan. Add remaining ingredients,
including lemon rinds, and bring to a boil. Turn off heat immediately.
The sauce is also good spread on toasted bread.