These are also known as Curried Beef Wraps with Pineapple Dipping Sauce. These mummies are none other than phyllo-wrapped beef with a hint of curry.
- 8 ounces (250 g) lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) mild curry paste
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) minced gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sodium-reduced beef stock
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) toasted ground almonds
Pineapple Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pineapple jam
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) lime juice
- Pinch hot pepper flakes
- Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or grease; set aside.
- Filling: In skillet, fry beef over medium-high heat, breaking up with spoon,
until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Drain off fat.
- Add oil, onion, garlic, curry paste, ginger, cumin, salt and pepper; fry
until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in stock; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until about
half of the liquid remains, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in bread
crumbs and almonds. Let cool for 30 minutes. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate, uncovered,
until cold; cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.)
- Place 1 sheet of the phyllo on work surface, covering remainder with damp
tea towel to prevent drying out. From long side, cut crosswise into 4 strips;
brush lightly with butter. Spoon scant 1 tablespoon (15 mL) filling into log
about 1/2 inch (1 cm) from end and sides of strip. Fold sides over filling;
fold over end and roll up. Brush lightly with butter. Place on prepared pan.
Repeat with remaining phyllo. (Make-ahead: Freeze in single layer. Layer with
waxed paper in airtight container and freeze for up to 2 weeks; bake frozen,
adding 5 minutes to baking time.)
- Bake in centre of 375 degree F (190 degree C) oven until golden, 15 to 18
- Serve warm with Pineapple Dipping Sauce.
- Pineapple Dipping Sauce: In microwaveable bowl, whisk together jam, lime
juice and hot pepper flakes; cover and microwave on high for 30 seconds or until
melted. Serve warm. (Make-ahead: Let cool. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3
Makes 40 pieces; about 1/2 cup (125 mL) Dipping Sauce.
Posted at The Cutting Board forum by Olga 19 October 2008 04:23 pm.
Source: Canadian Living Magazine
Other Halloween recipes you may like...
Bone Chillin' Breadsticks and Halloween Dip
Halloween Dipped Marshmallow Puffs
Spooky Eyeball Tacos
Spook-tacular Chocolate-Dipped Pretzels
>> Halloween Appetizer Recipes
>> Halloween Recipes Index