Barmbrack (Irish Bread)
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 cup scalded lukewarm milk
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup grated lemon and orange rind, mixed
- More soft butter
- Extra sugar
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl. Stir in milk, 1/3 cup sugar,
1/4 cup butter, eggs, cinnamon, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat smooth.
- Stir in raisins, rind and enough flour to handle dough. Knead; place in
- Let rise in warm place for 2 hours.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Place in greased pans; brush with butter.
- Let rise until doubled, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Brush with more butter and sprinkle with sugar.