Barmbrack (Irish Bread)
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 cup scalded lukewarm milk
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup grated lemon and orange rind, mixed
- More soft butter
- Extra sugar
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl. Stir in milk, 1/3 cup sugar,
1/4 cup butter, eggs, cinnamon, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat smooth.
- Stir in raisins, rind and enough flour to handle dough. Knead; place in
- Let rise in warm place for 2 hours.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Place in greased pans; brush with butter.
- Let rise until doubled, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Brush with more butter and sprinkle with sugar.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.