Hocus Pocus Balloon Buns
A marshmallow starts out in the middle and melts away to a sugar 'n' spice hollow.
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
- 3/4 cup lukewarm milk (scalded then cooled)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 18 large marshmallows
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Stir in milk, 1/4 cup sugar, the salt
egg, shortening and 1 3/4 cups of the flour. Beat until smooth.
- Mix in enough of the remaining flour to make the dough easy to handle.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic,
about 5 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl; turn the greased side up. cover and let rise in
a warm place until double, about 1 1/2 hours. (The dough is ready if an indentation remains when touched.)
- Punch down the dough and divide in half. Roll each half about 1/4 inch thick
and cut into nine 3 1/2-inch circles.
- Mix 1 cup sugar and the cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Dip each marshmallow into the melted butter, then into the sugar-cinnamon mixture.
- Wrap a circle of dough around each marshmallow, pinching together tightly
at the bottom. Dip into the butter, then into the sugar-cinnamon mixture.
- Place in greased medium muffin cups. Let rise for about 20 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Yield: 1 1/2 dozen rolls
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.