Double-Dipped Gourmet Caramel Apples
This is the only recipe you will ever need to make delicious caramel apples.
Your imagination is the only limitation.
- 4 or 5 medium apples
- Wooden sticks
- 2 (14 ounce) packages caramels (96 pieces), divided
- 4 tablespoons water, divided
- First Caramel Layer: Wash and dry apples; insert stick into stem end of
- Microwave 1 package of the caramels and 2 tablespoons of the water in a
small deep microwave-safe bowl on HIGH for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 minutes or until smooth,
stirring every minute. If caramel sauce is too thin, let stand for about 2 minutes before dipping apples.
- Dip apples into hot caramel sauce; turn until coated. Scrape excess sauce
from bottom of apples. Place on greased wax paper.
- Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Second Caramel Layer: After refrigerating, repeat microwave and dipping
directions with remaining the remaining package of caramels and 2 tablespoons water.
- See decorating ideas below for warm caramel apples. Otherwise, refrigerate
1 to 2 hours. See decorating ideas below for chilled caramel apples.
- Store decorated apples in refrigerator.
- Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes before serving to allow caramel
Yield: 4 to 5 medium apples or 2 large (3/4 to 1 pound each)
Decorating ideas for warm caramel apples:
Roll in chopped pecans or nuts of your choice; drizzle with melted apples.
Decorate with non-pareil covered semi sweet chocolate chips; drizzle with melted white chocolate.
Roll in graham cracker pieces and miniature marshmallows; drizzle with melted chocolate.
Roll in macadamia nuts or premium mixed nuts; drizzle with melted white and semi-sweet chocolate.
Decorating ideas for chilled caramel apples:
Dip apple in melted chocolate, several times, waiting for chocolate to harden
a little between each dip. Use white or semi-sweet chocolate or marbleize.
Dip bottom of apple in melted chocolate; decorate with toasted coconut and slice almonds.
Decorate with melted white or semi-sweet chocolate and sprinkles.
Any of these apples can be decorated with anything you choose, such as raisins,
chopped malted milk balls, peanut butter chips, chopped potato chips or pretzels.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.