Jack Horner Caramel Apples
Children's favorite caramel apples made with sweetened condensed milk.
- 8 medium size (2 to 3 pound) apples
- 1 1/3 cups (15 ounces) sweetened condensed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/3 cup firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Wash and dry apples. Insert 4 to 6 inch wooden skewers in stem ends. Set aside.
- Combine in a heavy saucepan the sweetened condensed milk (NOT EVAPORATED), sugar,
syrup and brown sugar. Cook to 234 degrees F (soft ball stage - remove from heat
while testing). Stir constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter or margarine and vanilla extract.
- Quickly dip and twirl apples in syrup to coat evenly.
- Cool on a well-greased cookie sheet, skewers upright.
Makes 8 caramel apples.
Posted by Olga at Recipe Goldmine 9/24/02 7:45:01 am.