Red Candied Apples
These are like the ones sold at fairs, carnivals and outdoor festivals.
- 6 small apples (McIntosh, Jonathan Red Delicious, Stayman,
Winesap, or Baldwin are best)
- 6 Popsicle sticks
- 3/4 cup red cinnamon candies
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/4 teaspoon
fresh lemon juice
- Few drops red food coloring
- Wash and dry apples and insert sticks into stem end of each. Apples should
be room temperature to prevent moisture from forming inside the taffy.
- Mix remaining ingredients and cook over medium heat in a small saucepan
until it reaches 300 degrees F on a candy thermometer (hard-crack stage), about
12 minutes. It takes a while to reach this stage but it occurs quickly, so do
not leave the area while the syrup is boiling. As it nears the 280 degrees F
mark, watch closely as it may burn if you do not take it off the heat.
- Quickly dip each apple into the hot syrup, covering it completely, and place
it on a greased cookie sheet to dry.
- Store on wax paper in a dry area. If they are stored in a moist or refrigerated
area, they will weep and become sticky.